Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hobson and Chester, and the Camera-Borg

Hobson has cowed a reluctant orcish orderly into taking him to the Brawl's Chief of Security, Chief Tallbard.

Max

Chet leads the way from the locker room glumly, hands still in the pockets of his shiny work slacks. He turns right toward the turnstiles, Hobson following. A sour, oafish reek stops you both cold. The stink is so powerful you could spread it on crackers and call it Limburger.

Chet nearly trips over Hobson as he backs away in the direction of the locker room. Lumbering down the tunnel comes a squad of huge one-eyed neanderthals, greasy-haired and grunting, followed by a whip-cracking dwarf in padded armor.

"Goons," whispers Chet. "Must be bad trouble out there, man. Gnuurgk. Screw this, I'm goin' on break. Chief's through the turnstiles and turn left twice."

Age of Fable

"Bad trouble? Good god man, give me your walkie-talkie at once."

Max

Chester looks at Hobson dubiously.

"Yeah, sure, trade you for your badge..."

[Roll Command if you want to keep trying to convince him.]

Age of Fable

"Shazbot! Fine, ring the Chief, tell him I'm going in to deal with the trouble."

As soon as Chester can't see me I'll change my clothes.

I'll also look for the others.

Max

[Back to your street clothes? (Speaking of which, I get kind of a pimpish vibe from Hobson's illustration, especially the hat -- am I reading too much into it?)]

"Yeah whatever, Officer. First thing after a ciggy." Chester drifts off, slouching at first but gathering enough speed that he hurdles the turnstile on his way toward the front.

Hobson scopes out the tunnel. To his left is the ramp leading into the arena. Just before the ramp two corridors lead off to the left and the right. Each leads to a dingy lounge: video gambling, food vendors, Brawl souvenirs...and holovids showing the calamity in the arena.

Age of Fable

I'll change into something that'll give me a bit of camouflage, if the clothes can do that.

Having done that, I'll try and get into the arena as unobtrusively as possible, and look for the others.

[and no, he's not meant to be a pimp]

Max

Hobson's holo clothes don't offer much by way of camo. He tries a cinder block pattern on but ends up looking like a game show host.

Pausing near the screening area he notices a squad of goblin medics gathered at the top of the ramp.

Age of Fable

I change back to police clothes, go back to the lockers, get my crossbow, bolts and cutlass, and enter the arena, where I try to 'arrest' the rest of the party.

Max

Now fully armed, Hobson approaches the screening gate. A weird duck-billed creature squats in a cage to one side. It shows no interest in the hobling. However a female cyaborg in a silver skinsuit stands between him and the arena. Human from the neck down -- superbly so, in fact -- she has an x-ray camera for a head.

Age of Fable

I hold up 'my' invitation.

Max

The x-ray camera scans Hobson from head to toe. "brawl.admission.is.closed." she buzzes. "no.law.enforcement.authorization.on.file. how.may. i.help.you.officer."

Age of Fable

"Oh...goodness...I, uh. Hm.

"Excuse me, I'm sorry.

"I was just surprised to see someone like yourself, well...working for a human."

Max

"your.mental.state.is.irrelevant. i.am.50.%.human. please.state.your.business."

Age of Fable

"No, sure..me too. OK, you know how there's a riot in the arena?"

Max

"affirmative. a.security.squad.has.been.dispatched. i.have.not.received.authorization.for.outside.reinforcements. if.you.are.here.on.police.business.please.display.your.credentials."

No comments: