Saturday, October 4, 2008

Hobson Twofoot in Tears of a Cyaborg

Max

While Hobson tries to reason with the cyaborg she-camera he glances past her just in time to see Quazarn duck out of the arena. The warlock crouches down just inside the ramp, back to Hobson.

Age of Fable

I look at the cyaborg to see if there's any non-lethal way to 'jam its gears' or similar.

Max

The cyaborg female does not appear to be armed. Her skin-tight silver bodysuit leaves little to the imagination, and from what Hobson can tell she is fully human save for the x-ray camera mounted on her neck.

"My.lenses.are.up.here.Officer" buzzes the cyaborg indignantly.

Age of Fable

"I'm sorry Madam, I was merely confirming my initial identification. You're under arrest."

Max

"On.what.charge. My.memory.banks.record.no.violation.of.local.municipal.or.galactic.law."

proclaims the 'borg, the pitch of her voice rising. She sounds a bit flustered, inasmuch as her vocoding hardware permits it.

"I.have.never.commited.a.crime. To.do.so.would.violate.my.core.programming. Please.what.have.i.done.officer."

Age of Fable

"I'm sure it's a mistake, but a lady matching your description is wanted for illegal hosting of a reality show. I'm afraid I'm going to have to detain you, most likely handcuffing you somewhere where you can't see the entrance to the arena. And confiscate any film or recording you might be making."

Max

"No.officer.please. You.must.be.thinking.of.my.sister.Katy.Kodachrome. I.have.not.spoken.to.her.in.months. Please.officer."

I tried and tried to find a picture of a robot girl with a camera head, but you'll have to settle for this kitty.  awwww.Holding up her hands imploringly the 'borg projects a series of sympathetic holographic images: sad-eyed kittens; robed priests of the Truth or Dare cult; a school transcript showing her perfect attendance record and highest marks in Civics; a flashing sign reading 'Not Guilty.'

Age of Fable

"Hmm...that flashing sign was certainly very convincing. Yet I must do my duty. I tell you what. If you erase any recording you've made in the last 24 hours, and undertake not to record anything else for the next 24 hours, and let me continue my investigation in the arena, I'll see if I can get permission to just give you a verbal warning rather than arrest you."

Max

The cyaborg nods, leaking a bit of emulsion fluid.

"I.am.certain.this.is.all.a.mistake.officer. Thank.you"

The cyaborg pops open a panel on...let's call it her forehead. She punches a quick sequence on a touchpad and shudders once. She tears off a small printout from the back of her head and hands it to Hobson.

Reel 3494.0833-0833A: ERASED. Disc Backup: DELETED

She steps back from the gate, allowing the hobling through to the ramp.

Age of Fable

I greet Quazarn, then enter the arena, menacing anyone who comes close with my crossbow, looking for the others.

No comments: