Creature finds a place near the cage surrounding the arena where he can keep his back away from any adversaries. That accomplished, he'll resume a fighting stance and clobber any schmuck who tries to mess with him.
Attack: 53% HIT
Save: 88% Fail
Buck is throwing down on any goon in the area that wants to scrap:
Melee Attack: 76% (crap, missed that time)
Save: 63% (missed that too...damn, it's hard to "save" in EC!)
Zarko takes up a position by the wall near enough to Creature to provide flank support.
I'll coordinate with Buck so that we can maximize our efficacy.
Plus, since these mooks seem to have a hate on about us, if I get any of them on the ground, I'm really not afraid to put the boot in. Just sayin', is all.
Attack: 40 (hit; barring any modifiers)
Damage: 1 (at least I'm consistent...)
Save: 94 (fail)
Zarko nudges Buck, nodding toward a clump of fighters shuffling nearby, deep in conversation with the Gibbon. The hang back for the moment, wary not just of the gore-spattered Creature but of the crossbow toting hobling cop strolling up.
When Hobson turns back toward the ramp the huddle of fighters breaks up and follows Creature and his boys to the wall. The Gibbon steps out ahead of the others and walks toward you, hands at his sides.
Mindful of your readiness to rumble, he stands a dozen feet away and bows. He addresses Creature in the accent of the Ape Sultanate, "Let us talk, O fearsome one."
Creature says in reply. With his Frankenstein vocal cords -- reconstructed from multiple 'donors' -- it's hard to tell if he means the words as a question or a command. Either way, he stays alert, but seems willing to hear the rest of what the Ape has to say.
Careful to keep his teeth covered, the Gibbon smiles and nods. He is tall and wiry, short of leg but long of arm, dressed in wide pantaloons and a purple turban.
"You do me honor by hearing my words and I thank you. I am Abdul gib'n Hylobat Nomascus, a prince of the east." He pauses, with just a hint of pomp. "You and your companions fight with valor and with wit, and your defeat of the goons is the talk of every tongue. I have but a humble proposal: when put to the test men of all species want either to lead or to be led."
He half turns, gesturing at the motley crew of warriors and wastrels nearby, "We would have you and your captains lead us."
Buck slaps his own face in a moment of Curly Howard surprise.
The mental fatigue of all this political wheeling and dealing shows in Creature's deeply furrowed brow. He seems pleased with the ape's offer though -- happy that he won't have to beat everybody in the arena, especially after seeing other groups 'team-up' earlier.
How many are there in the Ape Sultan's retinue?
"Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a convoy!" Zarko shakes his head at the awe and wonder of it all.
About a dozen fighters join you.
[How about this, Wulf, Coffee, Rondo, you guys gimme names for these yobs, and I'll figure out who they are. Maybe do a roll call later tonight. It's The Way of the Lazy JM]
Abdul Philimon III
Rokemsockem (boxing droid)
"Sugar Ray" Rocketblaster
Schleppy the Tote-Golem
Harmon Brewster III
It's mid-morning, cloudy and breezy. Every so often a free-for-all breaks out toward the center of the ring -- unaligned fighters roaming the pitch, kicking up trouble -- but things have been quiet otherwise. It gives you a chance to get to know your new allies:
- Abdul gib'n Hylobat Nomascus, The Gibbon, jungle princeling and wealthy adventurer.
- Abdul Philimon III, the Gibbon's valet and instructor-at-arms, an orang utan of formidable mien.
- "Bob," a fighter.
- Harmon Brewster, Esquire, snobbish hobling, really top drawer. Dressed in khakis and deck shoes.
- Keyyalaypkleeplo, the man-frog. Leeplo for short.
- Mad Muruzabal, a silent Amazon with matted hair and red eyes.
- "One-Eye" Malone, cigar chomping cyclopean stevedore.
- Rokem Sokem, prototype boxing droid gone rogue. A bundle of nerves.
- "Sugar Ray" Rocketblaster, preening pretty-boy, real stinging butterfly type. Talks it, but can he Walk it?
- Shifty McJumper, blue-skinned elf from the Mushroom Isles. Acrobatic.
- Schleppy the Tote-Golem, bag-headed homunculus with a pocket for everything.
- Triple Muscles Ragnar, dwarfish strongman. Top heavy.
- Wiggy Plop, clown on the lam from the Gnilgnir Munrab Circus.