Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Talk with Darryl

...In which Buck lies to a child

wulfgar

Creature takes the phone off the hook and hands the receiver to Buck. "Call..Darryl's..Mom...now."

Max

The phone rings four times before an impatient voice answers, "Thith ith Darryl."

Dr Rotwang!

wulfgar
Creature takes the phone off the hook and hands the receiver to Buck. "Call..Darryl's..Mom...now."

"Ah," says Quazarn. "Before we do that, perhaps I sh-"

The JM
The phone rings four times before an impatient voice answers, "Thith ith Darryl."

"- or not." He sits back down.

He turns to Creature, however, and gives him a very confident thumbs-up.

wulfgar

Just to be clear, Creature is not on the phone, he dialed and then handed it to Buck. He might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he knows he's not the most eloquent speaker.

Max

[gotcha, Wulf.

[Sorry if I jumped the gun on you, Doc. Something you want to do before the party talks to Darryl?]

rondo

Yea? Let me know, I'm fixing to be talkin!

(holdin' off until Doc gets a chance to make his move)

Dr Rotwang!

[Not at all, turkey! It gave me a chance for a bit of business, so we're good. Everyone please proceed.]

Max

"Hel-loo-o? Who is thith?" whinges the voice on the vocaphone. "I'm kind of in the middle of thomething here?"

Rondo

Buck starts grinning and running his forefinger over his moustache, "Hello son! Perhaps your mother is home? We have some good news for her...I have a distant relative here to speak with her." He winks at the party.

Max

"Yeah, right! All her relativth are fothsils," Darryl replies in a supercilious drawl. "Unleths...D-Dad...?"

Rondo

"Well, could be son, could be....all I know is that some friends of mine have someone here that needs to talk to her. Why don't you put her on, and then maybe you'll have some good news in a little bit! We have some gifts for you too."

Buck shrugs at this last bit of b.s. and grins at everyone (need me to roll for Seduce or Lie or Bullshit or anything?)

Max

"She...she won't talk on the vocaphone. You have to see her in persthon," he quavers. No longer sneering, Darryl's voice is thin, high-pitched but not quite a child's. He lets out his breath with a soft hiss.

"Ith my Dad there? Can I. Can I talk to him?"

Rondo

"Well, it's been a long time son, and we're not sure this would be your dad....what do you remember about your dad...? Maybe that will help us?"

Max

"I never knew my dad. Mother never talks about him," his voice lowers conspiratorially, "exthept to warn me not to follow his footstepth. But I'm pretty sure he wath a great warrior. Hey! are you fighting in the Bigtime Brawl?!"

Rondo

"Well, son we would like to! In fact, we have a fighter here that is a 'mean machine,' and there's a good chance he's your father. Part of the reason we want to talk to your mother is to find out some answers about getting into this brawl. If our fighter turns out to be your old man, then that would sure be great news wouldn't it? What does your mom look like? How would you describe her...does she have a little Frankenstein blood in her?"

Dr Rotwang!

[Just so you know, this is HILARIOUS.]

Max

"Frankensthein!? Is thith thome kind of joke? Oh ha-ha. And I fell for it like thome kind of asssth-hole," Darryl hisses in exasperation. "My father was a Human Knight of Olden Haragorn. My Mother ith..."

After a short breath Darryl continues, "Queensth Tower. It'sth on the Green Line. If you want to talk to Mother you have to see her in persthon. Thanks sthooo much for calling, 'Dad.' "

With a chirp of static the vocaphone cuts off.

[The Green Line is one of several aerial tramways that crisscross God City, kept running with spare parts, chewing gum and prayers to various godlings by a clan of Sky Dwarfs. There's a stop in the piazza down the street.]

wulfgar

[I too heartily approve of the hilariousness going on And am I the only one who reads "piazza" and thinks "hmmm, pizza does sound good right now"]

No comments: