Monday, November 3, 2008

The Brawl: Ape Fu

Rondo

"Whew! What a big galoot...guys, I ain't feelin' so hot..." Buck staggers over to Zarko and goes down on one knee..."Wow, that guy had a southpaw"....he leans next to Creature and sets down gazing around for some water.

wulfgar

(I'm back...sort of...pretty busy..but I'll try catching up and chiming in sometime today)

Max

[Condensed: While Buck and Zarko chatted with the mystic vobling Starshine, some wookies busted into your area and have been taunting your crew. Buck took up a challenge and knocked one out. The half-zombie leader wants to fight Creature.]

Coffee

Yeah, and the other one wants to fight me! I don't want to fight something that big. I'm just a scrawny little guy.

But hey, I will go ahead and taunt him. I'm totally cool with that; it's what us little guys do. (I can run faster scared than he can mad...)

"Oooga Booga!" Zarko bellows at the Wookie. He walks up next to the circle and starts to go around it, but doesn't step inside. All the while, he makes any rude gestures he can think of (flipping him off, etc.), trying to get the wook's goat and make him lose his cool.

What I learned from Starshine is this: There is fighting, and then there is fighting. You have to play to your strengths.

(I was hoping there was some kind of skill or power I could use in this, but don't see anything that seems applicable. Oh, well. If the ref wants me to roll something, he has but to say so.)

Max

[Roleplaying this out is fine. If you're hoping for some mechanical effect (a la kender taunting foes into attacking at a penalty) I'd say you could try rolling Psychic Implant -- but you might want to sling some nastier insults than "Ooga Booga."]

Coffee

Sorry, too subtle? I was implying that he didn't speak, just made noises. I.e., he's not a "real person" and therefore not worth fighting.

Yeah, that probably was too subtle, for a wookie.

Zarko runs his fingers through his lush pompadour. "Get a comb, ya shaggy loser."

"No wonder ya got hairballs."

Max

[Sir, wookies everywhere take grave offense at your assumptions. Why this very wooky is a renowned slam poet, and won an honorable mention from the New Anthology of Kashyyk Poetry for his chapbook RRRRRRRRRrrggghhhrrra'k. ]


wulfgar

Sure- Creature will throw down with the wooky zombie

Max

[Rock on, blood. Roll dem bones, show 'em what you got.]

Max

Coffee
Zarko runs his fingers through his lush pompadour. "Get a comb, ya shaggy loser."


"No wonder ya got hairballs."

Zarko is joined by the young wrestler 'Sugar' Ray Rocketblaster, who has a few choice words of his own for the wooky. "Come on outta ya circle tall dark an' hairy! I'll make a wig outta ya! Ya sideways poodle..."

The wook bares his teeth and growls derisively. He mimics each of your gestures in as mincing a way as is possible for a 6'6" wooky. Suddenly his eyes go blank. As if possessed by a Warlock Mime he silently acts out a breathtakingly filthy scene involving Zarko, Rocketblaster, their parents and a pack of stray dogs. The crowd of fighters watching gasps.

Rocketblaster clenches his fists, his neck muscles, his teeth, heck even his eyes clench. Just barely, he manages to control himself. Zarko feels his hackles rise, and struggles against a rush of pure gorilla rage.

[You got served, dogg. Wooky got reeeal lucky with his Psychic Implant roll.]

[You need to roll Psi-Resist. If you fail you'll take a 10% penalty to *all* percentile rolls for the duration of the Brawl, unless you take a swing at the wooky who just humiliated you in front of your crew.]

Coffee

Okay, that's no problem. My Psi-Resist is a healthy 58 and I rolled...99.

Okay, so I'm on him like -- well, like stink on a wooky.

Initiative: 5
Melee Attack: Need 55, rolled 19 -- hit!
Damage: 1
Saving Throw: Need 37, rolled -- Another bloody 99! My dice hate me today!

But hey, why should today be any different.

Ball's in your court, hairbag.

Rondo

Buck is feeling a little bit better (I only have 4 HPS left, so I'm not how sure how 'in the fight' Buck still is). He motions to the zombie critter, "Take it easy on the poor slob Creech...just tear off ONE of his arms."....Buck is keeping a close eye on Zarko too, in case anyone else tries to jump in there and outnumber him and our NPC. If that happens Buck is in there like lightning. Well, as close to lightning as a beat-up space pilot can muster!

Max

[I may not have time to post any full updates till this evening -- it's likely to be a busy day for this particular widget salesman. Few things:

* Wulf: need Creature's initiative, melee & save when possible.
* Coffee: in the cold light of morning I feel the choice I gave you last night was too harsh -- if you want to forgo clobbering the wooky your skill penalty will only be 5%. Feel free to edit your post above if you wish.
* Rondo: carry on.]

Coffee

Nah, my post stands. I needed motivation, and pride is always a big motivator.

My post stands, although I'm hoping I can get some help going on, because I'm better at sneak attack then I am at melee attack. If someone could distract the oversized drain-clog, I'd be happier.

Assuming, that is, that I survive what's about to happen!

I ain't taking no penalty, because I AM clobbering the mook! (well, as best I can...)

Rondo

(Buck can do some distractin'!....give me a wink, goriller-man when your ready, and I'll do some serious distracting!)

Max

[Buck is well enough to act -- and a distraction is a possibility. Just roll initiative per normal and tell me what you're planning.]

Rondo

Rolled: 5 +2=7 total

"Hey! You!!" Buck yells towards the opposing Wook, "Could you do us a favor?" He pinches off his nose and points, "MOVE DOWN WIND! YOU SMELL LIKE A DINO ISLAND PORTA-POTTY!!" With this Buck literally throws his stick towards the Wooky's head as hard as he can chunk it..

Att: 5! (Sweeeet)
Dam: 1 rolled, +2=3
Save: 90% (back to the shitty save rolls! Oh well, maybe I don't need it...I'm just trying to get this chump's attention anyway)

Max

Coffee
My dice hate me today!

[That's ok, mine seem to like you...]

Zarko charges! The arena walls have twisted into a tunnel of rage with Zarko on one end and the wooky crouching at the other in a blood-red spotlight. He hardly hears Buck hollering over the sound of his judding heartbeat.

The wooky is ready for Zarko's charge and leaps high, smashing downward with doubled fists...and misses the ape completely. At that instant Buck hurls his club. His aim is deadly, but luck is with the wooky. The club rockets straight at his temple, but the wooky stumbles when he attack misses Zarko, and the club merely grazes his shaggy dome.

Even in a primal rage, Zarko still has his cunning. In the split second that his foe is distracted the ape jabs a finger in his eye. It doesn't do much damage, but it must hurt like hell, 'cause the wooky yowls and clutches its eye.

[Wacky round! Buck's Critical Hit got canceled by a Critical Save, but then the wooky Fumbled his Save against Zarko's attack.

[Zarko's head is clear again, so he can fight on or not as he sees fit. If you keep fighting don't worry about re-rolling initiative.]

Coffee

Okay, press the attack -- maybe I'm on a roll!

Attack: Need 55, got 60, (so no damage)
Saving Throw: Need 37, got 16, so less than half!

Max

Zarko throws a quick jab but the wooky steps out of reach. Still holding his eye he throws a wild right cross, but Zarko ducks and it whooshes over his head.

[If Wulf doesn't chime in in the morning can someone run Creature tomorrow? He said he wants to tangle with the wook-zombie, but I need melee, damage and save rolls from him.]

Coffee

Zarko still has his rage, but is in the fight now, so he's going to try to maneuver into a better position. (Not easy in a circle, I know...)

Where is the mop handle (or whatever) that Buck threw? It could be around here somewhere. If I can see it, and grab it and use it as a weapon, groovy. If not, fine.

Attack roll (55): 96
Damage (d3+0): --
Saving Throw (37): 10

Max

Zarko keeps moving, jabbing and stepping to the side. He takes a chance with a looping overhand, aiming for the wooky's injured eye, but as he throws the punch he slips on Buck's club. He twists an ankle and stumbles to one knee but is nimble enough to roll out of the way of a head kick from the wooky. The club is almost close enough to grab...

[You can grab the club and either attack or make a saving throw in the next round, but not both. Note that a club does only 1d4 damage.

[The twisted ankle is from the Critical Fumble on your attack roll. Take 1 hp damage, reduce your move by 1]

Rondo

Buck is wide eyed taking in his comrades situation...if Zarko takes a solid punch Buck is ready to go in....(I can run Creature today too, if need be....I'm qualified: I have a Frankenstein image tattooed on my forearm!)

Rondo

Buck makes an attempt to distract the wooky, "Hey you fat sack of crap!"...it dawns on him: "I can't speak wooky!...geeesh," so then he attempts to make the weirdest, loudest, bellowing growl he can, "GRrroooowrreeeeeeeeeee!!!!" just to see if the furball will turn his head and think, "wha!?"

(should I roll to see if by some weird chance maybe Buck uttered some butchered Engrish (Wookrish)? )

Max

[Heh, Wookrish. Let's call that a Happenstance roll.]

Rondo

WEEEEE! (I SWEAR...i can't believe it...I have a lousy "18"...i rolled a "15"!..)

Max

Sure enough, Buck's growl* catches the wooky off Guard. He does a double take, furrowing his brow in confusion, and growls back angrily, "NNNgrrN?!"

*"Sister bubblegum mating dance two-for-one"

[Coffee: 10% bonus to your actions this round. If you choose to grab the club you'll still need to choose between attack and defense (i.e. saving throw)]

Coffee

Sneak attack on him when he's distracted!

Need (62 + 10) = 72, rolled 15!

Damage is 3!

I'm on a roll -- now, my question is this: Since I succeeded on a sneak attack, can I try a Murder roll to kill him? (I know it's not a fight to the death, but c'mon -- I'm a criminal! I'm just over-enthusiastic, that's all!)

If so, I roll my 15% (or would that get the +10% also?) and I get .. 32. Yeah, never mind.

Max

[Sneak Attack & Murder Notes:

[A foe you've already engaged in melee gets to roll Guard vs a Sneak Attack -- in this case Rondo took care of that with his distraction.

[Don't forget about a Criminal's bonus damage for Sneak Attacks (+5 at 1st level). So the total damage for your current attack is 8!

[We'll handle Murder just as you suggest: an optional separate roll any time you succeed at a Sneak Attack. Truly lethal attacks require a weapon, but in the context of the Brawl a Murder success equals a knockout. A moot point, as you'll see...]

Max

When the wooky turns away Zarko judo chops him in the throat. The furball sinks to his knees, gasping, and it's lights out for another wook.

Rondo

How's my hit points, JM? Am I still sitting at 4? I'm assuming so, since Buck's fight went down a mere few minutes ago eh?

Max

[Seconds ago, actually. It's just time dilation makes it seem longer.

[PbP, the natural high. Did you ever look at yr dice man? I mean really looook at them?]

Rondo

Yea, what i figured...I'm pretty sore still...

"Nice job workin' over the offending Wook, there Zarko...!...CHOP TO THE THROAT!

Coffee

"Well, he shouldn't have said that. Gestured that. Oh, you know what I mean!"

Zarko stands up, collecting Buck's club and handing it to him.

"Thanks for the distraction. Here's your stick."

Rondo

"Thanks bud...nice moves!" Buck flips the stick over in his hand. Now how's things looking around us?

No comments: